Author: Mort (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: 10-03-08 09:34
Doug, Frank, Jeannie... All great points.
If Culebra weren't very rough around the edges, it would be overrun by people and would be three times as expensive.
Wait a second, let me rephrase that... It IS beautiful around the edges but rough in the middle! LOL.
The ones who complain about Culebra or are disappointed are those who are expecting a cute and charming place at a bargain price, with perfect beaches, convenient services, clean environment, and no crowds. And with easy, cheap access by plane or ferry. Yet uncommercialized.
Many of these things are mutually exclusive.
So, this just ain't going to be found anywhere in the Caribbean anymore. Not at Culebra's prices... not even close.
I'm always amused when people write a critical review yet throw in a line about the beaches being spectacular, as if it's just a side note. Yet the beaches are WHY WE GO! The beauty of the beaches and the water are 90% of the reason we love Culebra. The other 10% is gratitude that we can get groceries or services of any kind!
If beaches and affordability aren't 90% of one's priorities, one shouldn't go to Culebra. There are an infinite amount of alternatives. But only one Culebra.
(Robert T, I don't mean to single you out. Your post is not at all unusual, and it certainly represents the views and priorities of the majority of Caribbean travelers. Threads like this are very educational to new visitors to this forum.)