Author: richard (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: 06-01-08 23:15
prob. too late for the OP, but a comparison of costs shipping luggage in today's WaPo - I'm sure PR is more (prices quoted are DC to SF), but a frame of reference to start with.
"Bugged by Bag Fee? It Could Be Worse."
Sunday, June 1, 2008; Page P01 (Travel)
Peeved about shelling out 15 bucks to check a bag on American Airlines? We're not happy about it, either, but here's the good/bad news: It's still the cheapest method of getting your bag from here to there. Here's how $15 compares with the cost of shipping one medium-size suitcase and its contents (total weight 35 pounds) one way from downtown Washington to downtown San Francisco.
-- Elissa Leibowitz Poma
· U.S. Postal Service, 800-275-8777, http://www.usps.com, $36.96 via seven-day parcel post; $123.90 for overnight express service.
EXPRESS MAIL SERVICES
· DHL, 800-225-5345, http://www.dhl.com, $52.40 for seven-day ground service; from $280.92 for next-day air.
· FedEx, 800-463-3339, http://www.fedex.com, $44.07 for five-day ground service; from $274.75 for overnight delivery.
· UPS, 800-742-5877, http://www.ups.com, $44.06 for five-day ground service; from $189.38 for next-day air.
LUGGAGE DELIVERY SERVICES
· Luggage Express, 866-744-7224, http://www.travellighter.com, $156.41 for three-day economy service; $296.87 for overnight express delivery.
· Luggage Forward, 866-416-7447, http://www.luggageforward.com, $124 for seven-day basic service; $273 for overnight express delivery.
· Luggage Free, 800-361-6871, http://www.luggagefree.com, $57.75 for five-day service; from $145.25 for overnight service.